Friday, May 22, 2009

5.15 Follow the Leader


Summary and Spoilers

After Daniel’s death, Jack and Kate are captured by the Others. Despite their Dharma uniforms, Eloise has seen her handwriting in Daniel’s notebook and suspects the prisoners are not part of Dharma.

Prisoners Jack and Kate discuss the pros and cons of fixing the past and wiping out their time on the island. Eloise interrupts – she wants to know how she shot her son. Jack tries to convince her that they can fix her mistake. They need to blow up that bomb real good. But Eloise has bad news – it is buried underneath Dharma-town. Getting in and out is not going to be easy for Jack and Kate - back at Dharma, Sawyer is being slapped around by Radzinsky.

Hurley escapes with Miles and Jin, but not before being accosted by Dr. Chang. Chang wants to know if they are from the future, and, when the answer is affirmative, confirms that Daniel was probably right about the advice to evacuate the island.

Chang walks into Sawyer’s torture party, warning everyone to evacuate, but Radzinsky vetoes this. Sawyer confirms the threat and promises to talk if he and Juliet are put on the submarine and evacuated. Radzinsky plops a notebook in Sawyer’s lap and asks for a map to the hostiles.

Sawyer gives them what they want, and soon, he and Juliet are inside the sub, chained to a table and contemplating their future freedom in the real world. Their romantic dream is thrown a bit when Kate is also banished to the sub and chained to the table, making for a strange little ménage a troi.

Miles and gang see Sawyer and Juliet being loaded onto the sub, and they see Chang yelling at his wife, telling her to get on also; Miles is a witness to his own life being saved by his father.

Eloise heads off with Richard, Kate, and Jack on a field trip to the bomb. Kate decides to drop out. She has no interest in killing everyone, destroying the island and wiping out the last three years. When she turns to leave, she is told to stay and threatened with death by Eloise’s party. A shot rings out, and the man who was about to shoot Kate lies dead, killed by Sayid. Kate still leaves, vowing to stop Jack before he kills everyone.

Richard, Eloise, Jack and Sayid dive into a pool and follow an underwater tunnel into underground tunnels that either are the ‘temple’ or are using the same sets. They find the big bomb – now they have to get it out or detonate it.

Thirty years later:

Locke arrives at the Others camp. Locke, Richard, and Ben head off to perform Locke’s mysterious ‘errand before nightfall’. Sun waits, hoping that Richard’s dire story that he watched Jin die in 1977 can somehow be incorrect or reversible. Locke’s itinerary is to first show Richard where he was the past three years, and then to visit Jacob. The ‘visit Jacob’ part is met with disdain by both Richard and Ben, but Locke insists that he is now leader and that is what he wants to do. Their first stop is a bizarre journey into the twilight zone, as an earlier version of Locke arrives with a bullet in his leg. Current Locke coaches Richard on what to do and say to Past Locke. After Richard removes the bullet, Past Locke disappears.

Back at camp, Locke’s second move is to invite everyone to join him in a jaunt to meet the mysterious Jacob, to come face to face with the man who has been supposedly giving orders to the Others. Sun thinks Locke is going to see Jacob so he can be reunited with Jin and the Others. But Locke tells Ben that the real reason is so he can kill Jacob.

Comments

A big bomb, a murder mission to Jacob (whoever and whatever he is), and a submarine trip to nowhere – we are building up to one dandy season finale! And its only one big double episode away! I find myself trying to figure out how the season will end – and failing.

Memorable Moments

  • Locke’s episode-ending murder plan for Jacob

Nits

This is just my personal feeling, but I don’t care how much you slip back and forth in time – there is only one John Locke. So it should not be possible for two of them to exist in the flesh in the same place, or anywhere at all, for that matter. Now maybe that second one is not really ‘in the flesh’ at all.

Lost Quotes

Sun: Who’s that man he’s talking to?
Ben: His name is Richard Alpert. He’s a kind of…advisor, and he has had that job for a very very long time.

Sun: Were you here in 1977?
Richard: Excuse me?
Sun: [shows photo of Dharma from 1977] These people – Jack Shepherd, Kate Austin, Hugo Reyes – they were here with my husband, Jin Kwan. Were you here? Do you remember them – any of them?
Richard: Yes, I was here 30 years ago. And I do, I remember these people, I remember meeting them very clearly, because…I watched them all die.

Locke: Ben, I’d appreciate if you’d join us.
Ben: Why, John, don’t you trust me here with my former people? Afraid I’ll stage a coup?
Locke: I’m not afraid of anything you can do anymore, Ben.
Ben: Well, in that case, I’d love to come.

Eloise: How is this my handwriting if I don’t remember writing it?
Jack: Because you haven’t written it yet.

Miles: Dr. Chang! What are you doing here?
Dr. Chang: I could ask you the same question.
Hurley: Well, we asked you first.
Dr. Chang: Your friend Faraday said that you were from the future. I need to know if he was telling the truth.
Hurley: Dude, that’s ridiculous.
Dr. Chang: What year were you born? What year?
Hurley: Uh, 1931.
Dr. Chang: You’re 46?
Hurley: Yeah. Yes I am.
Dr. Chang: So you fought in the Korean War?
Hurley: There’s no such thing.
Dr. Chang: Who’s the president of the United States?
Hurley: Alright, dude, we’re from the future. Sorry.
Dr. Chang: It’s true then – you are my son.
Miles: Yeah, it’s true.

Sayid: I don’t know if you are aware of this, but I’ve already changed things. I killed Benjamin Linus, and we’re all still here.
Kate: That’s because you didn’t kill him. Sawyer and me took him to the Others so that they could save him.
Sayid: Why did you do that?
Kate: Why did I do that? Since when did shooting kids and blowing up hydrogen bombs become okay?

Richard: I’m starting to think John Locke is going to be trouble.
Ben: Why do you think I tried to kill him?

Locke: I’m not interested in being reunited with my people.
Ben: What do you mean – you told Sun -
Locke: I know what I told her, but that’s not why we’re going to Jacob.
Ben: Then why are we going to Jacob?
Locke: So I can kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment